How to use a shared inbox inside Gmail?
Before Getting Started
Make sure you have an active Gmelius Business (legacy), Team or CRM Subscription for your shared mailbox and your team, and your Shared Mailbox Configuration has been set.
For further assistance on how to set up your Shared Inbox Configuration, see here.
Managing Support right from Gmail
In the following example, the recommended configuration for customer support (Shared Inbox Configuration with Ticketing workflow applied) has been used.
Locate Customer Queries
Where can I find newly shared customer queries?
When any new email reaches your support mailbox,i.e.,
firstname.lastname@example.org will appear in the 'Unassigned' section (left Gmail Pane) both in the support mailbox and in all users, i.e.,
email@example.com respective inboxes.
Any email that reaches the Support Shared Mailbox, by default will have the OPEN initial status.
Assign Customer Emails from your shared mailbox
You can further assign an email to anyone in your team. To use the email assignment feature, you need to have selected the Ticketing workflow in your Shared Inbox configuration.
You can do so either directly from your email list view or from inside an email conversation by using the Gmelius ticketing widget located in your right Gmelius pane (click on the Gmelius logo, if not automatically displayed).
- Click on the drop-down 'Assign to' in the Gmelius widget on the right pane of your Gmail to find a list of all the users in the Shared Mailbox to whom the email can be assigned.
- Select on any user to assign the email to.
Change the status of an email
You can assign any offer the following three status options on a ticket/email conversation:
- OPEN is the default, initial status of an email in your support mailbox. When a new email comes in the 'Open' state will be automatically attributed. The 'Open' state indicates that the email needs your attention.
- PENDING You can set an email conversation to 'Pending' state if you are waiting to hear back from a customer, or you just need to time to gather more information or resolve the matter. This status can be set further on emails where you have sent a reply, but the complete resolution has not been done. You can locate all 'Pending' emails by clicking on the 'Pending' label in your left Gmail pane.
- CLOSED When an email (or email conversation) has reached its logical resolution, then the user can change its state to 'Closed'. The 'Closed' status indicates that the email is resolved. Click on the 'Closed' folder to see the list of 'Closed' emails.
When a new email arrives on a Closed email thread, Gmelius will automatically 'Open' the whole thread under the name of the user to whom it was last assigned. If not an assigned conversation, it will pop back into the unassigned folder.
Use Tags to add context to a customer email
Click on the Tag field and type in the tags you need apply to give context to a customer query, e.g., issue, issue resolved, feature request.
When a tag is created, it will be stored and be available in a drop-down suggestion list next time you wish to apply a tag to a conversation.
Respond to Customer Queries from your inbox
> Send & Close
When replying to shared emails, you can opt to send the reply and close the conversation and do not change the assignment.
> Collision detection
This option alerts a user that is going to reply to an email in the Shared Mailbox when someone else from the team is already viewing or replying to the email. This is very useful in customer support, where customer queries reach many users.
The alerts are displayed as follows:
- Team members viewing the email conversation: their avatars displayed on the top right corner of the conversation
- Team member replying to the email conversation: A red pen icon next to the avatar displayed on the top right corner of the conversation